Here is the dairy and egg free version of cornbread. Not as rich as the non-vegan one – understandably. And it's a little crumblier. Would probably use margarine instead of oil next time.
1 1/4 cups plain flour
3/4 cup fine polenta
2 tspns baking powder
1/2 tspn salt
3/4 to 1 cup rice milk (or soy milk, but I prefer rice milk in this instance as it goes well with the corn flavour)
1/4 cup oil - vegetable or olive (or melted dairy free margarine)
1 tblspn corn starch with 1 tblspn water
1/2 can corn kernels
1/2 cup green onions or shallots – chopped
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes – finely diced
1/2 capsicum – finely diced
1. Fry the optional extras in a pan and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 200 to 210C. Grease and line loaf pan.
3. Mix flour, polenta, baking powder, salt in a bowl. Stir in milk, oil, corn starch and water mixture. Stir in enough milk until the dry ingredients are moistened.
4. Add fried optional extras to mixture and mix in well.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown and a toothpick/skewer inserted comes out clean.
6. Sit in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack. Slice and serve.