I made this with my yummo gumbo last week. However, I just realised I forgot to blog it. I made two different types of cornbread as my nephews have their egg and dairy allergies. Below is the egg and dairy filled version. Here is a link to the vegan friendly. Cornbread is great with anything sloppy – so gumbo is a fantastic accompaniment. Yum! Yum! I've listed some optional extras in the recipe and approximate amounts. Obviously its up to you how much you want. You can either stir these extras in or just put them on top after you've poured the mixture in the pan.
2 cups fine polenta
3/4 cup (110g) self raising flour
1 1/2 cups grated cheese
2 tspns caster sugar
1 tspn salt
150g butter – melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups (375ml) milk - at room temperature or warm
4 rashers of bacon – finely diced
1/2 can corn kernels
3 heads of shallots or green onions – chopped
1/2 capsicum – finally diced
1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes - finely diced
1. Preheat oven to 170 C. Grease and line the base and sides of a deep loaf pan with baking paper.
2. Fry in some light oil the optional extras and set aside.
3. Place polenta, flour, cheese, sugar, salt in a large bowl. Stir until combined.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, cooled melted butter and warm milk. If the milk is cold it will start solidifying the butter. If the butter is too hot it will solidify the eggs.
5. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix until well combine.
6. If you want the extras in the cornbread, mix them in now.
7. Pour mixture into prepared pan. If you just want the mixture on top then place them on top now. Smooth the surface.
8. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until cooked and the top is golden brown. Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Slide and serve.