Watermelon Cake–Red Velvet Cake inside

By Fongolicious - May 21, 2012

watermelon3 (1 of 1)


Told ya you’d get more posts from me! 2 in 2 days! So this isn’t so much a recipe based blog, rather a decorative cake one. In light of Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea Fundraiser at work next week, I decided to make this Watermelon looking cake. Even though the fundraiser isn’t having a competition this year, I’m all excited to bring this to the masses. So here is a sneak peak to my work teamies, and a nah nah Smile with tongue out to everyone else who wants but cannot have. As I've not made it before, I figured I should trial it before making the real one. 

I think it turned out really well. According to the ever critical parents, it could be more moist (reduce heat, create a humid oven) but besides that, positive feedback from those who’ve tried it. I based this cake on the red velvet cupcake recipe in my previous blog post, but tried to reduce the heat and baked it for longer. Below a summary of the changes I made/will make.
  • Preheat oven to 160C. Grease and line round springform cakepan.
  • In a small bowl, mix food colouring, vanilla and cocoa powder to form a thin paste without lumps; set aside. The trick to this one, I put the cocoa and vanilla first into the bowl, then slowly added the food colouring, enough to make a paste.
  • Fill prepared baking pan with mixture.
  • Bake for approximately 30-45 minutes, rotating pan halfway through, until toothpick comes out clean.
  • I mentioned the humid oven earlier. This just means putting a tray of water on the bottom shelf of the oven. As this cake cooks, the heat evaporates the water creating a sauna effect in the oven.
  • Cool the cake in the tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes then remove and allow to cool completely before frosting.
  • I made the basic cream cheese frosting recipe (with 2 cups of icing sugar mixture) and I added 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Definitely a must! It definitely adds to the flavour.
  • Then I split the frosting mixture into 3. With the majority to be pink (half), then green (third) then left the rest for the “white part”.
  • For the bright pink/red colour, I used red food colouring and some cocoa.
  • For the green I mixed yellow and blue colouring. More blue than yellow. Mix a couple drops at a time until you reach your desired colour.
  • Start decorating from the middle outward.
  • I then used raisins as “seeds”.
watermelon (1 of 1)


watermelon2 (1 of 1)


watermelon3 (1 of 1)


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments