Raspberry & Almond Upside Down Cake

By Fongolicious - October 25, 2012

cake4

Yep, another birthday cake. This blog has been a birthday cake library for the past months' posts. This cake is for my dearest Mum! Mum is the main reason I love baking. She was my first teacher in many ways, but especially in the kitchen. Before I could even see over the kitchen bench, Mum has allowed me to help her out, with mixing, sifting, cracking eggs, licking the beater and more. While doing so, she's taught me so much about cooking and baking. She is my "phone a friend" when I have a kitchen "situation". She is also my second biggest critic (Dad’s my first!).
mum&sienna
Like me, Mum loves being inspired by recipes in magazines and on product packaging. Must be where I got it from. This recipe is adapted from Donna Hay Magazine issue #65 – page 14 of the bonus section – Best of baking classic cakes. When I first saw the picture of this cake in the magazine, I could not stop drooling! I showed Mum and she was happy for me to try this out for her birthday cake. I made a few significant changes to this recipe, below is my version. This cake is not too sweet, fruity and nice & moist.





Ingredients
Raspberry layer
500g frozen raspberries – defrosted
1/4 cup caster sugar

Cake layer
290g butter – softened
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 tspn grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
1 vanilla bean – split and seeds scraped
3 eggs
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1 1/2 tspn baking powder
1/2 tspn bicarb soda
1 1/2 cups (180g) almond meal
1 cup (250ml) buttermilk

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease and line 24cm round tin.
Insure you use a regular, non-springform cake tin. As the base can leak.

2. Layer raspberries over the base of the prepared tin. Sprinkle 1/4 cup caster sugar all over raspberries and set aside.
raspberry

3. With an electric mixer, in a large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla seeds until pale and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add almond meal.

5. On low speed, slowly add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture. Mix until just combined.

6. Spoon mixture over prepared raspberries and smooth the top with a palette knife (or the back of a spoon).

7. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool to room temperature for a couple of hours or until just warm. Invert cake onto serving plate and carefully remove the tin (and stuck on baking paper) to serve.

The original recipe says to cover with foil after 45 minutes and bake for a further 40 to 45 minutes. After testing it at 45 minutes, I found it was pretty much cooked. If this doesn’t happen to you, I suggest following the original recipe but check regularly (every 5 or 10 minutes).


cake2
I used a heart shaped cake tin


View album



sliced1


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments