Baked Ricotta Cheesecake

By Fongolicious - April 07, 2013

Topped with my chocolate hazelnut truffles

Last weekend saw my oven take on two different types of baked cheesecakes. It was a cheesecake fest! A cheesecake royale! A cheesecake battle! 

How this come about? Well...

It was OG's Dad's birthday last Saturday and I offered to make him a cake. Naturally he accepted. This time with condition (well, a request) ... "Can you make Babcia's cheese cake?". [Translation: can you make my mother in-law-cheesecake] My response, sure - I'll give it ago. 

In my mind, there are a few things going on. My biggest obstacle was to source the main ingredient - Brandcourts cheese. Found this at Costco! Woo! My biggest challenge was living up to this infamous cheesecake. Nostalgic expectations will fill the room. This cake I've never actually had, let alone trying to replicate and not disappoint.

I've had other ricotta cheesecakes before. And I was never impressed. I still loved my New York baked cheesecake. So dense and tasty.... mmmmm! 

Just so happens that on the same weekend, my family and I were to celebrate my Dad's birthday. Hmmm! Do I make Dad my cheesecake? Do I put these two cheesecakes back to back?! Yes! Challenge accepted!  

So which cheesecake won? Well, personally - I still prefer the New York Cheesecake. However, the ricotta was very much loved by everyone. And I managed to live up to the expectation there. Woo! So depending on your preferences, I think they're both winners!

Happy birthday to all the two dads in my life. This recipe is credit to Babcia (OG's Grandma). Treat it well. This is a family recipe. May it live on and touch the lives of those who experience it. 

Sorry for the low quality photos. And incase you're wonder what's on top, they're just my chocolate hazelnut truffles.

Tip: Check out my tips on the perfect cheesecake here. I follow these principles regardless of the type of cheesecake to ensure it doesn't crack or burn.



Ingredients
Base

50g butter 
¾ cup caster sugar
2 egg yolks
2 ½ cups plain flour     
1 ¾ tspns baking powder     
1 tspn vanilla essence 
a splash of fresh cream to soften dough  

Filling
1 kg fresh, young ricotta cheese       
2 eggs                    
6-8 Tblspns caster sugar
1 tspn vanilla essence
150ml fresh cream
2 heaped tblspns custard powder

Method
Base
1. Cream together butter and caster sugar until pale. Add egg yolks one at a time and beat until combined. Should be a pale colour.

2. Add flour, baking powder, vanilla and cream. Using the dough hook attachment, mix until it forms a dough. Turn dough out onto a clean surface and knead until combined. It should look soft and shiny. Wrap in plastic and set aside.

Filling
3. Blend cheese until soft (a few seconds). Add eggs, sugar and vanilla. Mix until combined. Add cream and custard powder. Mix until combined.

Building the cake
4. Grease and line a springform cake tin (~20 to 22cm diameter). Preheat oven to 180 to 200C.

5. Roughly roll out the dough and press into lined tin (including the sides). Pour filling mixture in. 

6. Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until mixture is just or almost set. If it browns too quickly, turn the heat down to about 160C and/or cover with paper. It should look golden on top. Turn oven off, with the door open ajar leave pan in oven to cool slowly. When cooled, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

7. When ready to serve, remove sides of tin and side baking paper. Slide base onto the serving plate. Serve with fresh fruits and whipped cream.







  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments