Arancini Balls

By Fongolicious - February 18, 2015


Combing the aisles of Costco, there has been countless times where I would stare longingly into the freezer window, gazing at the frozen, pre-made Arancini balls. Slowly but surely, I would start salivating like a Pavlov puppy. However, I'm frequently deterred from buying it after reading the list of ingredients. Thinking "Pshhhh! I can make that!". Ha! Never happened...

My most recent visit, I talked myself into buying, only to be shut down by my dear OG - "I'll make it for you!". Here I'm thinking - "YES!!! WOOO!" Then... "we've never made it before, can't be that hard to make - right?"

Researching recipe after recipe around the world - there are fried versions, baked versions. Leave them overnight versions. All sorts of bread crumb types. Some people get really into it with such laborious and elaborate recipes. Which I'm sure it's worth it, if you have the time. For me I was after something simple, tasty and ingredients easy to find. I wanted little fried balls of rice with cheese that are super tasty. Not a tall ask.

So I decided to sorta wing it. And it turned out so well. Oh my goodness! Mmm!
These are great for using up leftover risotto. And I would really only consider making these again should risotto be on the menu.

There really isn't a set recipe. However I've outlined a few simple steps outlined below.

1. Make your favourite risotto. And there are so many types however I'd recommend not a sloppy one. One that is less like porridge or thick soup. Should your risotto be too wet, it won't hold as a ball and I suggest adding flour to your risotto to thicken it up.

2. Stir in a generous amount of grated cheese. Around 1:3 ratio to risotto. I recommend a pizza cheese type mix such as cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan. Ensure the cheese gratings are pretty small. I found some cheese gratings that were bigger to be less suited to ball forming. 

3. Form cheese/rice mixture into balls. The size is up to you. I made them about a ping pong ball size - about 1 - 2 tablespoons. If you want, you could place a piece of soft cheese in the centre.

4. Roll the balls into flour, then beaten egg wash, then panko bread crumbs.





5. Heat oil in a heavy base skillet to about 1 to 2cm deep. The oil is hot when you place a wooden utensil and the oil bubbles around the utensil. Turn heat down to medium.



6. Carefully fry the arancini balls. Be sure not to crowd the pan. Turn after 2 to 3 minutes to fry the other side. 



7. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel. Serve warm with a sprinkling of grated parmesan. 





  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. wow! I love these too! how synchronistic that tonite I made a version of these - yours look tastier!

    ReplyDelete