Meat-Free Banh-Mi

By Fongolicious - January 06, 2019



It's been so long since I've last posted a blog (over a year! WOW). I'm still cooking but I haven't made much effort to record my creations on this blog. If you're keen beans you can check out my instagram for the latest fongolicious-ness.

This particular recipe was inspired by the need to clear the fridge of soon-to-expire ingredients. In this case, the firm tofu. I don't normally buy the stuff, so a few weeks ago I though - oh why not...! As I don't normally use it, I didn't really have an idea on HOW to use it. With excess salad ingredients too, the meat-free banh mi was created. Not an original idea but still good. I'm actually posting this for a friend but I hope you also enjoy it and find it helpful. 

Please also note, I wasn't totally accurate with my quantities, so obviously do what's best for your palette and these are just rough quantities. 

Ingredients 
Lemongrass & Coriander Tofu
2 Tblspn soy sauce
pinch of garlic powder
pinch of ginger powder
1 tspn shaved lemongrass (I've been using the frozen stuff from the Asian grocery store)
1 tspn dried coriander leaves
1/2 tspn dried chives
1/2 tspn chilli paste
pepper (be generous)
olive oil for frying

Basil, Sesame & Chilli Tofu
2 Tblspn soy sauce
pinch of garlic powder
pinch of ginger powder
1 tspn dried basil leaves
1/2 tspn dried chives
3/4 tspn chilli paste
drizzle of sesame oil
pepper (be generous)
olive oil for frying

Banh-Mi
Bread roll (french baguette works, but if you have access to a Vietnamese bakery, use those rolls instead! The best ones are crispy and flaky on the outside, soft and fluffy inside) 
Pate (chicken liver one works well. It is optional but it sorta makes the flavour. If you're vego and find vegetarian pate, use that.)
Mayonnaise (the eggy kind not the sweet kind)
Carrots - grated (you can pickle these lightly in some vinegar if you like)
Cucumber - julienne 
Fresh coriander
1 Tblspn soy sauce
Fried tofu

Other optional ingredients:
Lettuce
Crispy fried onions/eshallots
Raw onion
Shallots
Fresh chilli slices
Daikon radish
Shredded cabbage or wombok


Method
  1. If you're going to pickle your carrots, do that first.
  2. Marinate the tofu - combine all above mentioned ingredients (minus the olive oil) in a shallow bowl and add slices of firm tofu. Coat the slices and sit for 15 to 30 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, prep your other ingredients (mainly slice up your salad filling)
  4. Fry the tofu lightly til each side is golden brown. 
  5. Lightly toast your bread roll.
  6. Construct the banh-mi - Spread mayo on one side and pate on the other side of the bread roll. Load up your salads (carrot, cucumber etc). Drizzle soy sauce. Top with tofu, coriander and chilli. Close up the sandwich and serve! 
I wasn't very thorough with my method but I have confidence in you that you can construct a sandwich. ;)




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments